Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sweet Land of Liberty!




For those of you who don't know, I absolutely LOVE holidays. I love all the festivities, decorations, time with friends/family and traditions associated with any holiday. With that said, I have to say this was one of the best 4th of July's ever! I think living in Utah slightly takes away from the significance of the 4th because the 24th is the biggest party of the year (yes, I love that too...) but it was really different being in WA where no one has a clue about the 24th and everything is focused on celebrating our freedoms. Also, it could have meant a bit more this year since Pete is now military and we are realizing the honor and commitment that is required to represent this great land. So... now for the day.

We started the day with an amazing hike in Enumclaw (small town by Puyallup) up Mt. Peak. Somehow we went on the wrong trail and ended up hiking vertically up the 1.3 mi. peak. we found the real trail after getting to the top, oh well at least that side gave us a better view of the valley. Afterward we went into the quaint little town and found lots of small little shops, including Sweet Necessities. It is a store bursting with treats from homemade fudge, hand-dipped chocolates, sweets and the best ice cream ever! I even ventured to try the honey lavender ice cream. tastes just like it smells. The town was gathering to celebrate the 4th together with a
home-town parade complete with kids on decorated bikes and a a decorated old-folks home bus. good times. we didn't stay but loved to be in the atmosphere.

Next it was onto the pool party/BBQ at a friends home, I wish I would've taken pics of the home, it is the closest I've seen to what I would like someday. Pete grilled up some rockin orange glazed BBQ chicken and corn on the cob.

After a few hours, we went home to get ready to celebrate the holiday by supporting the USA Men's Soccer Team in the Gold Cup tournament at Qwest field. It was a blast! The US dominated and we even got to see Real SL's Kyle Beckerman work his magic in the midfield. It was awesome! To end the night we all went to Ruston Way in Tacoma that is next to the sound. Apparently it's a huge tradition to have fireworks off a barge in the sound. It was pretty sweet to have an amazing show on the water and still see all the other cities behind it going off. It was a very full and fun 4th of July. Happy Independence Day!

Qwest Field:


Jill, Nate, Andy supporting the team
Pete being Pete...
My camera's interpretation of the fireworks:


2 comments:

Em said...

loving your red beads. and those sun kissed faces!

John-David and Kathryn said...

Looks like you guys had a busy day. Washington sure is pretty.