Last year Pete and I volunteered at the Big Sur Marathon here in Monterey. After watching all sized and shaped people cross the finish line we both said to each other "if they can do it we can do it." That was the moment that the goal began. Fast forward to November or so when we actually had to commit to the marathon and pay for it.
26.2 miles
no. big. deal.
And so, I did the most logical thing, talk my sister Amanda and her husband into joining us. Unfortunately Corey ended up not being able to because of knee problems. The training began and man, the more I ran the more I thought "why am I doing this again?" after 2 hours of running, I just got bored. At least I found I love Jelly Belly sport beans to keep me excited for each 1/2 hour.
Well May 1st rolled around and Amanda came in town. We rose at 3:30am to get on the bus at 4am to drive 15 min down the Highway to Carmel. (5 miles away) too bad the marathon didn't start until 6:45am. Luckily Safeway happened to be open and conveniently had stacks of lawn chairs in stock. We kept warm reading the latest celeb news that no one really cares about and reading up on ideas of decorating. A few hours later a police officer came on the intercom thanking us for supporting Safeway and reporting that people were sleeping on the scanning belts. REALLY? so we were hearded out into the rows of port-a-potties towards the start.

I especially appreciated the sight of many Johns as I had been dealing with GI issues for 4 days beforehand just hoping it wouldn't haunt me during the run.
6:50am: the race begins, all three of us dressed in our camelbacks and underarmour began the adventure. we were doing pretty well although the turn around was pretty rough. Pete stayed with us until mile 18, I was proud of him. Amanda and I pushed ahead until my calves started cramping at mile 20. The fresh strawberries at mile 21 definitely helped but we ended up walking way more than we wanted. We ended up finishing at 4:39:11. not bad for 26 grueling hills, cramping muscles, a large blister and black toenail. Pete came in about 45 min later and I we were cheering him in.
Before:

AFTER:

WE DID IT! WE RAN A MARATHON!!
what did we do to celebrate? go bike riding and eat good food.
I never wanted to run again.
at least that long. I like my saturdays thank you.
until Amanda mentioned Las Vegas Marathon in December.
looks like I'm back to running.

3 comments:
A.maze.ING. I can't imagine it but I am training to run a half in July. Let's see if that really happens. :) I miss you stupid girl who lives far away. Come back.
Congrats! I can't believe you're thinking of doing it again? Craziness. Hope all is well with the Monterey Monsons.
Wow!
And you're going to do it again? You're my new hero.
Post a Comment